This is a list of some of our most Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any questions not on this list or you would like further clarification, please don’t hesitate to contact us via phone, or any of the methods available on the Contact page. We are here to help!

What do you do? We are an interventional pain management practice, dedicated to providing proven treatments for pain without the use of narcotics. We can treat many different types of pain, but specialize in pain originating from the spine. We also provide many diagnostic procedures such as Discograms, medial branch blocks, and lumbar puncture (spinal tap). We also provide consult and placement of spinal cord stimulators.

What is the difference between Pain Management Associates, Midwest Surgery Center, and Kansas Spine Institute? Due to federal and state regulations, we are divided into three separate entities.

  • Pain Management Associates is the entity that encompasses our doctors. Consultations and office visits will be scheduled with Pain Management Associates.
  • Midwest Surgery Center is the actual surgery center side of our business. It is the facility where most of our patients come to have procedures.
  • Kansas Spine Institute is our research and publication entity. Our doctors are constantly studying new techniques, information, and data to provide the best palliative care for patients experiencing chronic pain.

Why not use Narcotics to treat chronic pain?  Many times narcotics are prescribed for new onset pain and most of the time this is appropriate.  However, the body quickly gets used to the narcotics and you have to increase the amount to again get the same amount of relief.  When this cycle is repeated, you may be taking large doses of narcotics and still be in pain.  Narcotics can actually cause your normal pain to be worse than it was when you were not taking narcotics. Diagnosing and treating the cause of pain is a better way of managing pain. The use of non-narcotic medications such as NSAID’s, gabapentin, duloxetine and tizanidine can offer assistance in managing chronic pain without the bad effects of narcotics. Ask your medical healthcare provider about these medications. Using narcotics to help manage cancer pain is well accepted and benifical in most cases.

What is an Epidural Steroid Injection? An epidural steroid injection (ESI) is a minimally invasive procedure that can help relieve neck, arm, back, and leg pain caused by inflamed spinal nerves. ESI’s can be used to effectively treat pain caused by radiculopathy (sciatic pain/pain that radiates into the limbs), stenosis, and herniated or bulging discs.

What is a Radiofrequency? A Radiofrequency Ablation, or RFA, is a procedure where a small area of nerve tissue is heated and destroyed in order to relieve painful signals coming from that specific area. RFA’s are usually very successful in providing significant pain relief that can last from a few months to several years depending on the patient.

What is a Discogram? A discogram, or discography, is a diagnostic procedure using CT imaging that helps determine whether a specific intervertebral disc, or several discs, may be the source of your spinal pain. Being able to pinpoint the cause of your pain will allow us to direct treatment to that specific area.

What is a Spinal Cord Stimulator? A spinal cord stimulator is an internally implanted device that uses adjustable levels of electrical currents to stimulate specific areas of the spine to reduce pain. Stimulators can be used for pain in the spine, as well as for numbness, tingling, and pain that radiates into the upper and lower limbs.

What other kinds of pain can you treat? SI pain (some insurances do not cover this treatment), headaches, joint pain, certain types of uterine or gastric pain, pain caused by herpetic neuralgia from Shingles, and many others. Contact us to see if we can help you!

Are these procedures painful? As we always say in this industry, pain is relative. One of the main reasons we perform our procedures in a surgical center setting using fluoroscopy (a special x-ray imaging machine) is so that we can perform procedures as quickly and painlessly as possible. Your comfort and safety are two of our biggest concerns when having a procedure at Midwest Surgery Center, and we do our best to make sure that our procedures are as minimally invasive as we can make them. Most standard epidural procedures themselves are very short, normally taking only a few minutes to complete. Most of our patients say the anticipation of the procedure is much worse than the actual procedure itself. We have even performed them on teenagers and children who have tolerated them very well.

Will I be sedated for the procedure? For most procedures no sedation is offered. Our doctors need you to be alert and aware during the procedure for your safety. The risk of using anesthesia for what is typically a very short and minimally painful procedure is not warranted. It would also vastly increase the time you need to spend in recovery after your procedure.

What do I need to bring to my appointment? Your patient paperwork — which can be found on the Patients page, a copy of the disc(s) from your MRI, and A DRIVER if you are having a procedure. If you are having a procedure, you WILL NOT be allowed to drive yourself home. Many patients feel relief from the procedure within a few minutes, but this does not mean you are okay to operate a vehicle! Residual numbness and mild sedative effects can be present, and it is dangerous to operate a vehicle immediately after ANY surgical procedure. If you come to your appointment without a driver we will have to reschedule your procedure.

How do I get a referral from my doctor? Many times our patients are referred by their doctor or surgeon to us, but if you have decided on your own to try this treatment your first step would be to talk to your Primary Care Physician or surgeon about your options and whether they think this would be a good treatment for you to try. If you are in agreement and wish to proceed, they can contact us at (316)683-1030 or (316)733-9393 for more information. They can also visit our Providers page on our website.

What insurance plans do you accept? We are in-network with almost all major carriers and we accept Medicare and VA coverage. Tricare/Triwest, Coventry Advantra, United Healthcare, Aetna, Cigna, and some small commercial insurances will require prior authorization before treatment can be provided. All patients must have a consult before we can submit for authorization.

How do I get prior authorization from my insurance? Usually we are required to submit clinical information about the history of your condition along with a copy of your MRI report and a request to perform a specific procedure. Often, conservative treatment is required before authorization for injections will be approved. Conservative treatment usually includes use of NSAIDS with no improvement along with failed physical therapy, or chiropractic manipulations with no significant improvement in painful symptoms.

Are there any up-front costs? If you are a self-pay patient (no insurance), if you have ever had a collection balance with us, if you have an insurance deductible that has not been met, or a surgery center co-pay you will be required to pay those costs up front at the time of service. Typically we will notify you before your appointment of any upfront costs. We accept Visa, Mastercard, any HRA funding cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo, Check, Money Order, and cash.

What if I was injured at work? A report MUST be filed with Workers Compensation. If you have an open Workers Compensation claim, the doctor in charge of your medical care must refer you for treatment and we must get the procedure approved through your adjuster. We will need your case information, your adjusters name and contact information, your date of injury, and where to file claims. If you were injured at work, but your Work Comp claim was DENIED, we will need a copy of your denial letter to submit with your health insurance claims.

What if I was in an auto accident? If you are in an auto accident and have Auto Insurance benefit coverage, we will file claims with YOUR AUTO INSURANCE ONLY. We CANNOT file claims to the other party’s insurance, even if they have agreed to pay your bills. You must file those claims yourself for reimbursement. We also cannot accept settlement arrangements as an agreement for payment. You must pay up front and the settlement will reimburse your expenses. If you do not have health insurance secondary to your auto insurance, you must pay all costs up front and file for reimbursement with your auto insurance company.

PLEASE NOTE: Even though your Personal Injury Protection and Medical benefits may be being paid by your auto policy, we are required by law to file the claims with your health insurance company as well. This requires us to obtain any prior authorization, and up front payments for deductibles or copays at the time of service, even if your Auto Insurance benefits have not been exhausted. We are required to follow the rules of your health insurance and must treat the Auto Insurance benefits as supplemental even though they will pay out first.

Why did I receive two different bills from your facility? Pain Management Associates and Midwest Surgery Center are two separate entities. Your bill from Pain Management Associates will reflect the physician charges, while the bill for Midwest Surgery Center shows the charges for the facility.

Can I pay both bills with one payment? No. The payments must be separate.

How do I pay my bill? You can call and pay with a credit card over the phone at any time during business hours, or you can wait to receive your bill in the mail and send payment by check or money order.

How can I contact your office? You can contact us by phone from 7:45am – 4:30pm Monday through Thursday and 7:45am-1:30pm on Friday at (316)733-9393 or (316)683-3937, you can email us via the Contact page, or you can send written correspondence to:

Pain Management Associates, L.C.
825 N Hillside, Ste 200
Wichita, KS 67214

How do I get a copy of my medical records? We will need you to sign a records release form releasing the records to another doctor, lawyer, or to yourself or a family member. Payment may be required. Please contact us at (316)733-9393 for further information.

Where can I find out more information about Dr. Jones or Dr. Landers? You can review our doctors educational and professional background as well as their published research articles at our CV & Publications page! Also, check out our Kansas Spine Institute Newsletter in the side bar for informational articles directly from our physicians.